Thursday, December 6, 2012

SharePoint 2010: An error occured while rendering navigation for requrested URL. Exception message: Cannote complete this action.


An error occurred while rendering navigation for requested URL. Exception message: Cannot complete this action.Microsoft.SharePoint.SPGlobal.HandleComException...

One of the user was reported with the above error message while accessing a SharePoint 2010 Publishing site.


The actual root cause of the issue the Navigation Settings. When I try to open the navigation settings page (/_layouts/AreaNavigationSettings.aspx) on the site, we are getting an "Server Error in '/' Application". This is the second time I was reported on the same sort of issue, but this time from a different user on different site (even different site collection, but on the same web application). And again the user was not sure which page/s were causing the issue.
Based on the recent modified pages in reverse order, I keep going deleting them as I know that I can restore them back once the issue fixed. As soon as I deleted the issue causing page, I was able to access all the settings pages including Navigation Settings. Then I went and deleted the page URL in the Navigation Settings section and restored all the pages which were deleted including the root cause page as the issue was not with the page, issue was with the Navigation URL of the page. Not sure exactly what was the issue with the Navigation URL as it looked good to me before I removed.
There I observed an uncommon behavior at Global Navigation settings like the page which was causing the issue with its name, few folders were added. I just deleted them and monitored for some time, that did not repeated. Happy ending....

Please see more information on the same issue:
SP 2010: Error when opening _layouts/AreaNavigationSettings.aspx

Imp: Avoid adding a document URL or List/Document Library URL to site Navigation (if it has a mile long) instead place it in a page and use that page URL in the Navigation.

No comments:

Post a Comment